Skip to Main Content
Disruptant effects of 4-allylanisole and verbenone on Tomicus piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolitidae) response to baited traps and logsAuthor(s): Robert A. Haack; Robert K. Lawrence; Toby R. Petrice; Therese M. Poland
Source: The Great Lakes Entomologist. 37(3&4): 131-141.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (148.0 KB)
DescriptionWe assessed the inhibitory effects of the host compound 4-allylanisole (release rates = 1 and 2 mg/d in 1994, and 1 and 10 mg/d in 2001) on the response of the pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (L.), adults to funnel traps baited with the attractant host compound α-pinene (release rate = 150 mg/d) in two pine Christmas tree plantations in Michigan in spring 1994 and two other plantations in spring 2001. In three of the four plantations, all doses of 4- allylanisole significantly reduced T. piniperda attraction to α-pinene-baited traps by 46 to 76%. We also tested the inhibitory effect of the antiaggregation pheromone verbenone (release rates = 2 and 4 mg/d) on T. piniperda attack density on pine bolts (average bolt length was 62 cm and diameter was 19 cm) at three sites (two pine forest stands and one Christmas tree plantation) in Michigan in 1994. Verbenone significantly reduced T. piniperda attack density by 37 to 60% at the two pine stands, but not at the Christmas tree plantation.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
CitationHaack, Robert A.; Lawrence, Robert K.; Petrice, Toby R.; Poland, Therese M. 2004. Disruptant effects of 4-allylanisole and verbenone on Tomicus piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolitidae) response to baited traps and logs. The Great Lakes Entomologist. 37(3&4): 131-141.
- Repellent properties of the host compound 4-allylanisole to the southern pine beetle
- Semiochemical disruption of the pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
- Development of an improved attractive lure for the pine shoot beetle, Tomicus piniperda (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
XML: View XML