Skip to Main Content
Recovery plan for laurel wilt of avocado, caused by Raffaelea lauricolaAuthor(s): R. C . Ploetz; M. A . Hughes; P. E . Kendra; S. W . Fraedrich; D Carrillo; L. L. Stelinski; J. Hulcr; A. E. Mayfield III; Tyler Dreaden; J. H . Crane; E. A. Evans; B. A. Schaffer; J. A. Rollins
Source: Plant Health Progress
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionSummary. Laurel wilt kills American members of the Lauraceae plant family, including avocado (Persea americana). The disease threatens commercial production in the United States and other countries, and currently impacts the avocado industry in Florida. As laurel wilt spreads, the National Germplasm Repository for avocado in Miami (USDA-ARS) and commercial and residential production in other states (e.g., California and Hawaii), U.S. protectorates (Puerto Rico), and other countries are at risk. In the United States, value-added production of avocado of more than $1.3 billion/year is threatened. This recovery plan was produced as part of the National Plant Disease Recovery System (NPDRS), called for in Homeland Security Presidential Directive Number 9 (HSPD-9) to insure that the tools, infrastructure, communication networks, and capacity required to mitigate the impact of high-consequence plant disease outbreaks are such that a reasonable level of crop production is maintained. It is intended to provide a brief primer on the disease, assess the status of critical recovery components, and identify disease management research, extension, and education needs.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPloetz, R. C .; Hughes, M. A .; Kendra, P. E .; Fraedrich, S. W .; Carrillo, D .; Stelinski, L. L.; Hulcr, J.; Mayfield III, A. E.; Dreaden, T. J.; Crane, J. H .; Evans, E. A.; Schaffer, B. A.; Rollins, J. A. 2017. Recovery plan for laurel wilt of avocado, caused by Raffaelea lauricola. Plant Health Progress 18:51-77.doi: 10.1094/PHP-12-16-0070-RP
- First report of laurel wilt, caused by Raffaelea lauricola , on Sassafras ( Sassafras albidum ) in Arkansas
- Laurel Wilt
- Laurel wilt in natural and agricultural ecosystems: Understanding the drivers and scales of complex pathosystems
XML: View XML