Skip to Main Content
Simulated cavity tree dynamics under alternative timber harvest regimesAuthor(s): Zhaofei Fan; Stephen R Shifley; Frank R Thompson; David R Larsen
Source: Forest Ecology and Management
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (289.0 KB)
DescriptionWe modeled cavity tree abundance on a landscape as a function of forest stand age classes and as a function of aggregate stand size classes.We explored the impact of five timber harvest regimes on cavity tree abundance on a 3261 ha landscape in southeast Missouri, USA, by linking the stand level cavity tree distribution model to the landscape age structure simulated by the LANDIS model. Over 100 years, mean cavity tree density increased constantly under all timber harvest regimes except for even-aged intensive management. This was due in large part to the continued maturation of the numerous stands that were >70 years old at the start of the simulations. However, compared to the no harvest (control) regime, the uneven-aged, the mixed, the even-aged long rotation, and the even-aged intensive harvest regimes reduced the cavity tree density by 9–11, 11–13, 15–18, and 28–34%, respectively, as more old stands were cut. Forest managers and planners can use this information to evaluate the practical consequences of alternative timber harvest regimes and consider the need for activities such as cavity tree retention.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFan, Zhaofei; Shifley, Stephen R; Thompson, Frank R; Larsen, David R. 2004. Simulated cavity tree dynamics under alternative timber harvest regimes. Forest Ecology and Management. 193(3): 399-412. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foreco.2004.02.008.
KeywordsCavity tree density, LANDIS, Timber harvest, Even-aged management, Uneven-aged management, Missouri, Ozarks
- Tree cavity estimation and verification in the Missouri Ozarks
- Model forest landscape change in the Missouri Ozarks under alternative management practices
- Simulating historical variability in the amount of old forests in the Oregon Coast Range.
XML: View XML