Skip to Main Content
Observations of northern flying squirrel feeding behavior: use of non-truffle food items.Author(s): D.R. Thysell; L.J. Villa; A.B. Carey
Source: Northwestern Naturalist. 78: 87-92
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (158 KB)
DescriptionIn the Pacific Northwest, the northern flying squirrel, Glaucomys sabrinus, sumes sporocarps of a wide variety of hypogeous mycorrhizal fungi(truffles). Numerous other foods are also consumed but are not well characterized by fecal pellet analysis either because they are more fully digested (seeds, nuts, fruits, vegetation) or because of the similarity among spore types (lichen photobionts, epigeous fungi). Thus, observations of squirrel foraging are important in characterizing non-truffle dietary components. As part of a trapping and telemetry study, we observed G. sabrinus foraging on 63 occasions; 34 were observations of non-truffle consumption. These foods included epigeous fungi, fruits and seeds, and conifer seedlings. We hypothesize G. sabrinus may consume more non-truffle foods than is indicated by fecal pellet analysis, and that such foods may be important nutritional supplements to a lowquality diet as well as substitutes for truffles in times or places of low truffle abundance. By availing themselves of other food sources, G. sabrinus may persist in otherwise marginal habitats, while also contributing to the dispersal of a wide diversity of fungi and increasing genetic diversity of fungal and microbial species.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationThysell, D.R.; Villa, L.J.; Carey, A.B. 1997. Observations of northern flying squirrel feeding behavior: use of non-truffle food items. Northwestern Naturalist. 78: 87-92
- Northern flying squirrel mycophagy and truffle production in fir forests in northeastern California
- Habitat associations of hypogeous fungi in the Southern Appalachians: implications for the endangered northern flying squirrel (Glaycomys sabrinus coloratus)
- Diet and food availability of the Virginia northern flying squirrel (Glaucomys sabrinus fuscus): implications for dispersal in a fragmented forest
XML: View XML