Skip to Main Content
On the variation of inventory estimates for redwood standsAuthor(s): Daniel Opalach
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-258. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 47-54
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (897.0 KB)
DescriptionThere is a tremendous amount of variation in the second growth redwood (Sequoia sempervirens (D. Don) Endl.) forests found along the North Coast of California. In order to make prudent management decisions about these forests, foresters and other resource professionals often conduct timber cruises to collect information on tree species, diameters, tree heights, crown ratios, bole taper, and other variables of interest. When designing point sample timber cruises to collect these data, it is important not only to consider sample size (the number of point samples), but to also consider how frequently to subsample trees for volume measurements. The purpose of this paper is to report on a study where Green Diamond simultaneously assessed the effects of both of these key timber cruise design elements on confidence intervals for board foot volume estimates.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOpalach, Daniel. 2017. On the variation of inventory estimates for redwood stands. In: Standiford, Richard B.; Valachovic, Yana, tech cords. Coast redwood science symposium—2016: Past successes and future direction. Proceedings of a workshop. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-258. Albany, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station: 47-54.
Keywordsconfidence interval, point sampling, timber cruise, volume estimate
- Gross volume tables for redwood trees in and near the Redwood National Park
- The New Economies of the Redwood Region in the 21st Century
- Growth of released redwood crop seedlings on the redwood experimental forest.
XML: View XML