Skip to Main Content
Illinois Forests 2015Author(s): Susan J. Crocker; Brett J. Butler; Cassandra M. Kurtz; William H. McWilliams; Patrick D. Miles; Randall S. Morin; Mark D. Nelson; Rachel I. Riemann; James E. Smith; James A. Westfall; Christopher W. Woodall
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-113. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 82 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (10.0 MB)
DescriptionThe third full annual inventory of Illinois' forests reports more than 4.9 million acres of forest land and 99 tree species. Forest land is dominated by oak/hickory and elm/ash/cottonwood forest types, which make up 92 percent of total forest area. The volume of growing stock on timberland has been rising since 1948 and currently totals 7.0 billion cubic feet. Average annual net growth of growing stock from 2010 to 2015 was about 146.1 million cubic feet per year. This report includes additional information on forest attributes, land-use change, carbon, timber products, and forest health. The following information is available online at https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-113: 1) detailed information on forest inventory methods, statistics, and quality assurance of data collection; 2) tables that summarize quality assurance; 3) a core set of tabular estimates for a variety of forest resources; and 4) a Microsoft® Access database that represents an archive of data used in this report, with tools that allow users to produce customized estimates.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCrocker, Susan J.; Butler, Brett J.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; McWilliams, William H.; Miles, Patrick D.; Morin, Randall S.; Nelson, Mark D.; Riemann, Rachel I.; Smith, James E.; Westfall, James A.; Woodall, Christopher W. 2017. Illinois Forests 2015. Resour. Bull. NRS-113. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 82 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-113.
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest land, volume, biomass, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, forest health, Illinois
XML: View XML