Skip to Main Content
Ten principles for thinking about the future: a primer for environmental professionalsAuthor(s): David N. Bengston
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-175. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 28 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionEvery decision we make is about the future, but most of us are never taught how to think critically about it. This guide addresses this issue by identifying and reviewing 10 principles for thinking about the future, along with related strategies for improving environmental foresight. The principles and strategies are drawn from the transdisciplinary field of futures studies. Taken together, these principles and strategies can help guide environmental planners, managers, and policy makers toward well-considered expectations for the future.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBengston, David N. 2017. Ten principles for thinking about the future: a primer for environmental professionals. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-175. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 28 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-175.
Keywordsforesight, futures, strategies, futures research, futures studies
- Principles for Thinking about the Future and Foresight Education
- Strengthening environmental foresight: potential contributions of futures research
- Horizon scanning for environmental foresight: a review of issues and approaches
XML: View XML