Skip to Main Content
Inventory-based landscape-scale simulation of management effectiveness and economic feasibility with BioSumAuthor(s): Jeremy S. Fried; Larry D. Potts; Sara M. Loreno; Glenn A. Christensen; R. Jamie Barbour
Source: Journal of Forestry. 115(4): 249-257.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA)-based BioSum (Bioregional Inventory Originated Simulation Under Management) is a free policy analysis framework and workflow management software solution. It addresses complex management questions concerning forest health and vulnerability for large, multimillion acre, multiowner landscapes using FIA plot data as the initial stand conditions to conduct statistically representative analyses and simulations. The system now includes extensive data consistency and integrity checks for analytical quality assurance, access to any measured or calculated stand attribute for defining effective management, and the capacity to project stands forward while allowing multiple, sequential management interventions, with stand metrics calculated at each time step, all available to drive the choice of what is best for each stand. One example of a policy-relevant finding based on this empirical analytic framework is that fire hazard reduction is both more effective and can occur without subsidy in most southern Oregon and northern California forests, provided that some medium-sized trees are removed; another is that harvest residues recovered for energy contribute only modestly to treatment feasibility.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFried, Jeremy S.; Potts, Larry D.; Loreno, Sara M.; Christensen, Glenn A.; Barbour, R. Jamie. 2017. Inventory-based landscape-scale simulation of management effectiveness and economic feasibility with BioSum. Journal of Forestry. 115(4): 249-257. https://doi.org/10.5849/jof.15-087.
KeywordsRestoration, feasibility, fuel treatment.
- FIA BioSum: a tool to evaluate financial costs, opportunities and effectiveness of fuel treatments.
- A framework for evaluating forest restoration alternatives and their outcomes, over time, to inform monitoring: Bioregional inventory originated simulation under management
- Validation of the OpCost logging cost model using contractor surveys
XML: View XML