Skip to Main Content
Diversity-dependent temporal divergence of ecosystem functioning in experimental ecosystemsAuthor(s): Nathaly R. Guerrero-Ramírez; Dylan Craven; Peter B. Reich; John J. Ewel; Forest Isbell; Julia Koricheva; John A. Parrotta; Harald Auge; Heather E. Erickson; David I. Forrester; Andy Hector; Jasmin Joshi; Florencia Montagnini; Cecilia Palmborg; Daniel Piotto; Catherine Potvin; Christiane Roscher; Jasper van Ruijven; David Tilman; Brian Wilsey; Nico Eisenhauer
Source: Nature Ecology & Evolution. 1(11): 1639-1642.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (1000.0 KB)
DescriptionThe effects of biodiversity on ecosystem functioning generally increase over time, but the underlying processes remain unclear. Using 26 long-term grassland and forest experimental ecosystems, we demonstrate that biodiversity–ecosystem functioning relationships strengthen mainly by greater increases in functioning in high-diversity communities in grasslands and forests. In grasslands, biodiversity effects also strengthen due to decreases in functioning in low-diversity communities. Contrasting trends across grasslands are associated with differences in soil characteristics.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGuerrero-Ramírez, Nathaly R.; Craven, Dylan; Reich, Peter B.; Ewel, John J.; Isbell, Forest; Koricheva, Julia; Parrotta, John A.; Auge, Harald; Erickson, Heather E.; Forrester, David I.; Hector, Andy; Joshi, Jasmin; Montagnini, Florencia; Palmborg, Cecilia; Piotto, Daniel; Potvin, Catherine; Roscher, Christiane; van Ruijven, Jasper; Tilman, David; Wilsey, Brian; Eisenhauer, Nico. 2017. Diversity-dependent temporal divergence of ecosystem functioning in experimental ecosystems. Nature Ecology & Evolution. 1(11): 1639-1642. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-017-0325-1.
KeywordsBiodiversity, ecosystems, grasslands, forests
- Biodiversity increases the resistance of ecosystem productivity to climate extremes
- Open forest ecosystems: An excluded state
- When does biodiversity matter? Assessing ecosystem services across broad regions using forest inventory and analysis data
XML: View XML