Skip to Main Content
Carbon in U.S. forests and wood products, 1987-1997: state-by-state estimatesAuthor(s): R.A. Birdsey; G.M. Lewis
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-310. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 42 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Northeastern Research Station
Download Publication (804.92 KB)
DescriptionEstimated changes in carbon stocks are reported for the forests and wood products of the 50 U.S. States. Carbon stocks on forest land and in harvested wood products increased between 1987 and 1997 at an annual rate of 190 million metric tons. Most of this increase was in biomass, followed closely by wood products and landfills. Changes in land use since 1987 caused a small decrease in carbon stocks, but this loss was offset by large gains on existing forest land. The East had the greatest gain in carbon stocks with smaller gains estimated for the West. Most of the individual states showed increases in ecosystem and wood-products carbon. Observed changes were attributed to distinct regional and local factors, e.g., timber production, land-use change, and natural disturbance.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBirdsey, R.A.; Lewis, G.M. 2003. Carbon in U.S. forests and wood products, 1987-1997: state-by-state estimates. Gen. Tech. Rep. NE-310. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Station. 42 p.
Keywordsglobal change, forest carbon, forest inventory
- Estimates of carbon stored in harvested wood products from United States Forest Service Eastern Region, 1911-2012
- Carbon stocks and stock change on federal forest lands of the United States
- Sequestration of carbon in harvested wood products for the United States
XML: View XML