Skip to Main Content
Measurements relating fire radiative energy density and surface fuel consumption - RxCADRE 2011 and 2012Author(s): Andrew T. Hudak; Matthew B. Dickinson; Benjamin C. Bright; Robert L. Kremens; E. Louise Loudermilk; Joseph J. O'Brien; Benjamin S. Hornsby; Roger D. Ottmar
Source: International Journal of Wildland Fire. 25: 25-37.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionSmall-scale experiments have demonstrated that fire radiative energy is linearly related to fuel combusted but such a relationship has not been shown at the landscape level of prescribed fires. This paper presents field and remotely sensed measures of pre-fire fuel loads, consumption, fire radiative energy density (FRED) and fire radiative power flux density (FRFD), from which FRED is integrated, across forested and non-forested RxCADRE 2011 and 2012 burn blocks. Airborne longwave infrared (LWIR) image time series were calibrated to FRFD and integrated to provide FRED. Surface fuel loads measured in clip sample plots were predicted across burn blocks from airborne lidar-derived metrics. Maps of surface fuels and FRED were corrected for occlusion of the radiometric signal by the overstorey canopy in the forested blocks, and FRED maps were further corrected for temporal and spatial undersampling of FRFD. Fuel consumption predicted from FRED derived from both airborne LWIR imagery and various ground validation sensors approached a linear relationship with observed fuel consumption, which matched our expectation. These field, airborne lidar and LWIR image datasets, both before and after calibrations and corrections have been applied, will be made publicly available from a permanent archive for further analysis and to facilitate fire modeling.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHudak, Andrew T.; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Bright, Benjamin C.; Kremens, Robert L.; Loudermilk, E. Louise; O'Brien, Joseph J.; Hornsby, Benjamin S.; Ottmar, Roger D. 2016. Measurements relating fire radiative energy density and surface fuel consumption - RxCADRE 2011 and 2012. International Journal of Wildland Fire. 25: 25-37.
Keywordsfire radiative energy (FRE), fire radiative power (FRP), fuel map, LiDAR, long-wave infrared (LWIR), RxCADRE
- Measuring radiant emissions from entire prescribed fires with ground, airborne and satellite sensors - RxCADRE 2012
- Integrated active fire retrievals and biomass burning emissions using complementary near-coincident ground, airborne and spaceborne sensor data
- Use of ordinary kriging and Gaussian conditional simulation to interpolate airborne fire radiative energy density estimates
XML: View XML