Skip to Main Content
Carbon budget of Ontario's managed forests and harvested wood products, 2001–2100Author(s): Jiaxin Chen; Stephen J. Colombo; Michael T. Ter-Mikaelian; Linda S. Heath
Source: Forest Ecology and Management. 259(8): 1385-1398.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (499.0 KB)
DescriptionForest and harvested wood products (HWP) carbon (C) stocks between 2001 and 2100 for Ontario's managed forests were projected using FORCARB-ON, an adaptation of the U.S. national forest C budget model known as FORCARB2. A fire disturbance module was introduced to FORCARB-ON to simulate the effects of wildfire on C, and some of the model's C pools were re-parameterized using data from Canadian forests. Forest C stocks were estimated using allometric equations that represent the relationships between C and net merchantable volume and forest age based on forest inventory statistics. Other pools were included using results from ecological studies related to forest inventory variables. Data from future forest development projections adopted in approved management plans were used as model input to produce forest C budgets for the province’s Crown forestmanagement units. The estimateswere extended to other types of managed forests in Ontario: parks, measured fire management zones, and private forest lands. Carbon in HWP was estimated in four categories: wood in use, wood in landfill, wood burned for energy, and C emitted by wood decomposition or burning without energy generation. We projected that the C stocks in Ontario’s managed forests and HWP (in use and in landfills) would increase by 465.3 Mt from 2001 to 2100, of which 47.9 Mt is from increases in forest C and 417.4 Mt is from HWP C.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChen, Jiaxin; Colombo, Stephen J.; Ter-Mikaelian, Michael T.; Heath, Linda S. 2010. Carbon budget of Ontario's managed forests and harvested wood products, 2001–2100. Forest Ecology and Management. 259(8): 1385-1398.
KeywordsForest carbon budget, Carbon budget model, Sustainable forest management, Forest harvest, Harvested wood product, Forest fire
- Future carbon storage in harvested wood products from Ontario's Crown forests
- Carbon sequestration in the U.S. forest sector from 1990 to 2010
- Carbon storage in harvested wood products for Ireland 1961-2009
XML: View XML