Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Agroforestry: Enhancing resiliency in U.S. agricultural landscapes under changing conditionsAuthor(s): Michele M. Schoeneberger; Gary Bentrup; Toral Patel-Weynand
Source: Gen. Tech. Report WO-96. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
View PDF (8.0 MB)
DescriptionAgroforestry, the intentional integration of trees and shrubs into crop and animal production systems, is being deployed to enhance productivity, profitability, and environmental stewardship of agricultural operations and lands across the United States. This assessment provides a science-based synthesis on the use of agroforestry for mitigation and adaptation services in the face of climatic variability and change. It provides technical input to land-use sector issues in the National Climate Assessment (NCA) and serves as a framework for including agroforestry systems in agricultural strategies to improve productivity and food security and to build resilience in these landscapes. It also provides follow-up to the technical input report by Walthall et al. (2012) that established the need for innovative strategies to address significant climatic variability challenges faced by U.S. agriculture.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchoeneberger, Michele M.; Bentrup, Gary; Patel-Weynand, Toral, eds. 2017. Agroforestry: Enhancing resiliency in U.S. agricultural landscapes under changing conditions. Gen. Tech. Report WO-96. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 228 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/WO-GTR-96.
- Agroforestry: Enhancing resiliency in U.S. agricultural landscapes under changing conditions - executive summary
- A review of traditional agroforestry in Micronesia
- Supporting U.S. agricultural landscapes under changing conditions with agroforestry: An annotated bibliography
XML: View XML