Skip to Main Content
Residential tornado safe room from commodity wood products – design and developmentAuthor(s): Robert H. Falk; James J. Bridwell
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. FPL-GTR-253. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 1-8.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionIn the United States, tornadoes cause significant damage and result in many injuries and deaths. Although the development and use of tornado safe rooms have helped decrease the human toll associated with these events, the cost of these structures is often too high for many that could benefit from their use. The development of a nonproprietary residential tornado safe room constructed from commodity wood building products, buildable by a local contractor or do-it-yourselfer, and adaptable to existing homes, could lower the cost of these structures and result in more widespread use. This report is an overview of the design and development of such a residential tornado safe room. This design was tested according to the requirements of the International Code Council Standard for the Design and Construction of Storm Shelters. It has a projected material cost of between $3,500 and $4,000, which is significantly less than a prefabricated room of similar size and built from other materials.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFalk, Robert H.; Bridwell, James J. 2018. Residential tornado safe room from commodity wood products – design and development. General Technical Report. FPL-GTR-253. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 1-8.
KeywordsTornado safe room, design, wood construction
- Residential Tornado Safe Rooms from Commodity Wood Products: Wall Development and Impact Testing
- Residential tornado safe room from commodity wood products – impact and wind pressure testing
- Development of a ready-to-assemble tornado shelter from cross-laminated timber (CLT): impact and wind pressure testing
XML: View XML