Skip to Main Content
National climate assessment technical report on the impacts of climate and land use and land cover changeAuthor(s): Thomas Loveland; Rezaul Mahmood; Toral Patel-Weynand; Krista Karstensen; Kari Beckendorf; Norman Bliss; Andrew Carleton
Source: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2012–1155
Publication Series: Miscellaneous
Station: Washington Office
PDF: View PDF (2.0 MB)
DescriptionThis technical report responds to the recognition by the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP) and the National Climate Assessment (NCA) of the importance of understanding how land use and land cover (LULC) affects weather and climate variability and change and how that variability and change affects LULC. Current published, peer-reviewed, scientific literature and supporting data from both existing and original sources forms the basis for this report’s assessment of the current state of knowledge regarding land change and climate interactions. The synthesis presented herein documents how current and future land change may alter environment processes and in turn, how those conditions may affect both land cover and land use by specifically investigating: *The primary contemporary trends in land use and land cover; *The land-use and land-cover sectors and regions which are most affected by weather and climate variability, *How land-use practices are adapting to climate change, *How land-use and land-cover patterns and conditions are affecting weather and climate, and *The key elements of an ongoing Land Resources assessment. These findings present information that can be used to better assess land change and climate interactions in order to better assess land management and adaptation strategies for future environmental change and to assist in the development of a framework for an ongoing national assessment.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLoveland, Thomas; Mahmood, Rezaul; Patel-Weynand, Toral; Karstensen, Krista; Beckendorf, Kari; Bliss, Norman; and Carleton, Andrew. 2012. National climate assessment technical report on the impacts of climate and land use and land cover change. U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2012–1155, 87 p.
- Sensitivity of low-level jets to land-use and land-cover change over the continental U.S.
- The potential impacts of climate change and variability on forests and forestry in the Mid-Atlantic Region
- Importance of scale, land cover, and weather on the abundance of bird species in a managed forest
XML: View XML