Skip to Main Content
Accuracy assessment of percent canopy cover, cover type, and size classAuthor(s): H. T. Schreuder; S. Bain; R. C. Czaplewski
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-108. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 10 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (101.28 KB)
DescriptionTruth for vegetation cover percent and type is obtained from very large-scale photography (VLSP), stand structure as measured by size classes, and vegetation types from a combination of VLSP and ground sampling. We recommend using the Kappa statistic with bootstrap confidence intervals for overall accuracy, and similarly bootstrap confidence intervals for percent correct for each category and user and producer accuracy. A procedure is given for mapped plots to be assessed as being partially or totally correct. We recommend the use of primary accuracy for management decisions and secondary accuracy for research decisions to distinguish between accuracy desired.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchreuder, H. T.; Bain, S.; Czaplewski, R. C. 2003. Accuracy assessment of percent canopy cover, cover type, and size class. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-108. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 10 p.
Keywordsvalid accuracy assessment, truth, mapped management information, bootstrap errors, partially correct information
- Variance estimates and confidence intervals for the Kappa measure of classification accuracy
- Calculating Confidence Intervals for Regional Economic Impacts of Recreastion by Bootstrapping Visitor Expenditures
- Reliability of confidence intervals calculated by bootstrap and classical methods using the FIA 1-ha plot design
XML: View XML