Skip to Main Content
Tuber aztecorum sp. nov., a truffle species from Mexico belonging to the Maculatum clade (Tuberaceae, Pezizales)Author(s): Gonzalo Guevara-Guerrero; Gregory Bonito; Matthew E. Smith; Roseanne Healy; Arthur Grupe; Efren Cazares; Michael A. Castellano; James M. Trappe
Source: MycoKeys. 30: 61-72.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionA new species of truffle, T. aztecorum, is described from central Mexico. Tuber aztecorum can be distinguished from other related Tuber species synoptically by a combination of morphological features including ascospore size, pellis cells with irregular thickness, cystidia, ascoma colour and associated host (Abies religiosa an endemic Abies species from central Mexico); sequence variation on the ITS rDNA also distinguishes T. aztecorum from related species. A phylogenetic analysis of the ITS rDNA demonstrates that T. aztecorum belongs to the Maculatum clade and is unique from other similar small, white-cream coloured Tuber species distributed in north-eastern Mexico such as T. castilloi and T. guevarai.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGuevara-Guerrero, Gonzalo; Bonito, Gregory; Smith, Matthew E.; Healy, Roseanne; Grupe, Arthur; Cazares, Efren; Castellano, Michael A.; Trappe, James M. 2018. Tuber aztecorum sp. nov., a truffle species from Mexico belonging to the Maculatum clade (Tuberaceae, Pezizales). MycoKeys. 30: 61-72.
KeywordsTaxonomy, systematics, phylogeny, hypogeous fungi, cryptic species
- Noble fir: a bibliography with abstracts.
- Natural reproduction of shasta red fir from a single good cone crop.
- Hybridization of a Rocky Mountain fir (Abies concolor) and a Mexican fir (Abies religiosa).
XML: View XML