Skip to Main Content
Down woody materials as an indicator of wildlife habitat, fuels, and carbon stocks of the United StatesAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall
Source: In: Forest health monitoring: 2005 national technical report. General Technical Report SRS-104. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (770.0 KB)
DescriptionWhy Are Down Woody Materials Important? The down woody materials (DWM) indicator is used to estimate the quantity of dead
organic material (resulting from plant mortality and leaf turnover) in forest ecosystems of the United States. The DWM indicator, coupled with other components of the enhanced Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program, can indicate the current status of
fuels, carbon pools, and wildlife habitat of our nation’s forest ecosystems. The fine and coarse woody components of the DWM indicator are specifically designed to match the components defined by the National Fire Danger Rating System. Use of the DWM indicator may increase the precision of carbon pool estimates across the United States. Additionally, the coarse woody debris (CWD) component of DWM may indicate the condition of habitat critical for numerous plants and animals.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W. 2007. Down woody materials as an indicator of wildlife habitat, fuels, and carbon stocks of the United States. In: Forest health monitoring: 2005 national technical report. General Technical Report SRS-104. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. pages (41-50)
- Sampling protocol, estimation, and analysis procedures for the down woody materials indicator of the FIA program
- The National Inventory of Down Woody Materials: Methods, Outputs, and Future Directions
- Attributes of down woody materials in hardwood forests of the Eastern United States
XML: View XML