Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Basal Area Growth Estimators for Survivor Component: A Quality Control ApplicationAuthor(s): Charles E. Thomas; Francis A. Roesch
Source: South. J. Appl. For. 14(1):12-18.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (145 KB)
DescriptionSeveral possible estimators are available for basal area growth of survivor trees, when horizontal prism (or point) plots (HPP) are remeasured. This study's comparison of three estimators not only provides a check for the estimate of basal area growth but suggests that they can provide a quality control indicator for yield procedures. An example is derived from remeasurements in Alabama for the Southern Forest Experiment Station by Forest Inventory and Analysis. Remeasurements are for 1962-72 and 1972-82. It is suggested that computation of two or perhaps all three of the estimators be routinely incorporated in analysis of remeasured HPP data. Use of the two elemental estimators can provide a quality assurance check on field procedures.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThomas, Charles E.; Roesch, Francis A., Jr. 1990. Basal Area Growth Estimators for Survivor Component: A Quality Control Application. South. J. Appl. For. 14(1):12-18.
- Rate of value change in New England timber stands
- Development of a shortleaf pine individual-tree growth equation using non-linear mixed modeling techniques
- FIA Quality Assurance Program: Evaluation of a Tree Matching Algorithm for Paired Forest Inventory Data
XML: View XML