Skip to Main Content
Water management in container nurseries to minimize pestsAuthor(s): R. Kasten Dumroese; Diane L. Haase
Source: Tree Planters' Notes. 61(1): 4-11.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionWater is the most important and most common chemical used in plant nurseries. It is also the most dangerous chemical used. Insufficient water, excessive water, and poorly timed irrigation can all lead to poor-quality crops and unacceptable mortality. Anticipated future declines of water availability, higher costs to use it, and continuing concerns about irrigation runoff harming the environment also spur interest in making more efficient use of water in nurseries. This article discusses water management in container nurseries and its influence on weeds, insects, and diseases. It also provides guidelines for minimizing pest issues with proper irrigation application and monitoring. This paper was presented at the joint annual meeting of the Western Forest and Conservation Nursery Association and the Intermountain Container Seedling Growers’ Association (Troutdale, OR, September 14–15, 2016).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDumroese, R. Kasten; Haase, Diane L. 2018. Water management in container nurseries to minimize pests. Tree Planters' Notes. 61(1): 4-11.
Keywordsplant nurseries, water management, pest management, reforestation, conservation, restoration activities
- Verifying critical control points for Phytophthora introduction into nurseries
- Growth, gas exchange, foliar nitrogen content, and water use of subirrigated and overhead irrigated Populus tremuloides Michx. seedlings
- Using container weights to determine irrigation needs: A simple method
XML: View XML