Skip to Main Content
Container volume and subirrigation schedule influence Quercus variabilis seedling growth and nutrient status in the nursery and fieldAuthor(s): Qiaoyu Sun; R. Kasten Dumroese; Yong Liu
Source: Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research. 33: 560-567.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionContainer volume and irrigation management affect seedling growth in the nursery and field. We evaluated the effects of container volumes (D40, 656 ml; D60, 983 ml) and subirrigation schedules (85%, 75%, 65%, and 55% of 100% total substrate moisture content, TSMC) on seedling growth in a greenhouse and outplanting performance of Chinese cork oak (Quercus variabilis Blume) for one growing season. In the greenhouse, morphological attributes of seedlings grown at 85% and 75% TSMC in D60 were greater than those grown at 65% and 55% TSMC in D40. After outplanting, seedlings grown at 75% TSMC in D60 were tallest but not different than those grown at 65% TSMC. Shoot (9.2 g), root (28.0 g), and total (37.2 g) biomass of seedlings subirrigated at 55% TSMC in D60 reached maximum values, but shoot biomass for seedlings grown at either 65% or 55% TSMC was similar. Root and total N and K contents of seedlings subirrigated at 65% and 55% TSMC were greater than those grown at 85% and 75% TSMC. Our results suggest that reducing the subirrigation schedule threshold and using a container with more volume could improve oak seedling growth and nutrient accumulation during the first growing season of outplanting.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSun, Qiaoyu; Dumroese, R. Kasten; Liu, Yong. 2018. Container volume and subirrigation schedule influence Quercus variabilis seedling growth and nutrient status in the nursery and field. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research. 33: 560-567.
KeywordsQuercus, subirrigation schedule, container volume, nutrient, outplanting performance
- Hyperdiversity of ectomycorrhizal fungus assemblages on oak seedlings in mixed forests in the southern Appalachian Mountains
- Performance of nutrient-loaded red oak and white oak seedlings on mine lands in southern Indiana
- Oak Seeding on an Adverse Field Site
XML: View XML