Skip to Main Content
North American Forest Futures 2018-2090: Scenarios for Building a More Resilient Forest SectorAuthor(s): David N. Bengston; Jonathan Peck; Robert Olson; Melissa Barros; Richard A. Birdsey; Daniel R. Williams; Juan Carlos Leyva Reyes; Francisco José Zamudio
Source: World Futures Review
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (349.0 KB)
DescriptionNorth American forests and forest management institutions are experiencing a wide range of significant ecological disturbances and socioeconomic changes, which point to the need for enhanced resilience. A critical capacity for resilience in institutions is strategic foresight. This article reports on a project of the North American Forest Commission to use Futures Research to enhance the resilience of forest management institutions in North America. The Aspirational Futures Method was used to develop four alternative scenarios for the future of North American forests and forestry agencies: (1) an extrapolation of current trends into the expectable future titled Stressed Forests, (2) a scenario of growing desperation titled Megadisturbances Call for Military Intervention, (3) a high aspiration future titled High Tech Transformation and Cooperation, and (4) an alternative pathway to a highly preferable future titled Cultural Transformation Embraces Indigenous Values. These scenarios will be used in discussions and futures exercises with forestry leaders to develop foresight and assure that plans are responsive to the challenges and opportunities ahead.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBengston, David N.; Peck, Jonathan; Olson, Robert; Barros, Melissa; Birdsey, Richard A.; Williams, Daniel R.; Leyva Reyes, Juan Carlos; José Zamudio, Francisco. 2018. North American Forest Futures 2018-2090: Scenarios for Building a More Resilient Forest Sector. World Futures Review. 10(2): 152-169. https://doi.org/10.1177/1946756718757751.
Keywordsscenarios, Aspirational Futures, North American Forest Commission, forestry, forest service, resilience
- A privilege and a challenge: valuation of heirs' property by African American landowners and implications for forest management in the southeastern U.S
- Scenarios to Provide Context for Horizon Scanning: Backcasting North American Forest Futures from 2090 to 2035
- The Forest Futures Horizon Scanning project
XML: View XML