Skip to Main Content
Forests of Minnesota, 2017Author(s): Scott Hillard
Source: Resource Update FS-154. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p.
Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)
Download Publication (949.0 KB)
DescriptionThis resource update provides an overview of forest resources in Minnesota based on an inventory conducted by the USDA Forest Service, Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the Northern Research Station in cooperation with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. Estimates are based on field data collected from 2013–2017 with comparisons made to field data collected in 2008–2012. The 2013–2017 sample data was collected from 6,290 field measured plots on forest land, with 20 percent collected per year. Data used in this publication were accessed from the FIA database in March 2017; data collection and analysis are described in Bechtoldand Patterson (2005) and O’Connell et al. (2016). Forest land refers to land with minimum 10 percent crown cover for live trees of any size, while timber land refers to lands that could support commercial forestry operations and not withdrawn from utilization by statute or regulation. Note: this publication was updated on 5/20/2020 to correct errors in how a few plots were attributed to ownership categories.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHillard, Scott. 2018. Forests of Minnesota, 2017. Resource Update FS-154. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 4 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/FS-RU-154.
XML: View XML