Skip to Main Content
An assessment of common buckthorn in northern U.S. forestsAuthor(s): Cassandra M. Kurtz; Mark H. Hansen
Source: Res. Note NRS-250. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 5 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (733.0 KB)
DescriptionThis publication is part of a series of that provides an overview of the presence of invasive plant species monitored on an extensive systematic network of plots measured by the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the USDA Forest Service, Northern Research Station (NRS). Each research note features one of the invasive plants monitored on forested plots by NRS FIA in the 24 states of the Midwestern and Northeastern United States. Common buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica; also known as European buckthorn) is a woody shrub that is native to Eurasia and was introduced to North America as an ornamental from Europe in the 1800s (Kurtz 2013). It is a problematic invader as it can grow across a range of light levels.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKurtz, Cassandra M.; Hansen, Mark H. 2018. An assessment of common buckthorn in northern U.S. forests. Res. Note NRS-250. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 5 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RN-250.
- The association of two invasive shrubs, common buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) and Tartarian honeysuckle (Lonicera tatarica), with oak communities in the midwestern United States
- County-scale mapping of the invasion stage and invasiveness of major nonnative invasive plants in the Upper Midwest forestlands, USA
Invasibility of three major non-native invasive shrubs and associated factors in Upper Midwest U.S. forest lands
XML: View XML