Skip to Main Content
Colemanite: a fire retardant candidate for wood plastic compositesAuthor(s): Evren Terzi; Saip Nami Kartal; Sabriye Piskin; Nicole Stark; Aysel Kanturk Figen; Robert H. White
Source: BioResources. 13(1): 1491-1509.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionThe use of raw boron minerals (i.e. tincalconite, colemanite, and ulexite) was evaluated to increase the fire performance of wood plastic composites (WPCs) in comparison with commercially available fire retardants (FRs). Cone calorimetry and limited oxygen index tests were performed to evaluate the fire properties of WPC specimens. Artificial weathering and 3-point bending tests were also performed on the test specimens loadedwith the highest loading level of FRs. The most important decrease in theheat release rate values was 42% and 40% in the magnesium hydroxide- and colemanite-added WPCs at a loading level of 15% (w/w), respectively.Incorporation of colemanite and ulexite into the WPCs increased thelimited oxygen index levels by nearly 13% at the same loading level. Anincrease was observed in the peak heat release rate values in all of theWPC specimens after accelerated weathering. All of the FRs hadstatistically improved MOE values compared with the control WPCspecimens. In particular, the incorporation of zinc borate and boraxincreased the MOE values by approximately 48% and 42%, respectively.Similar to the effect on the MOE values, zinc borate and borax improvedthe modulus of rupture the most (approximately 18%).
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationTerzi, Evren; Kartal, Saip Nami; Piskin, Sabriye; Stark, Nicole; Figen, Aysel Kanturk; White, Robert H. 2018. Colemanite: a fire retardant candidate for wood plastic composites. BioResources. 13(1): 1491-1509.
KeywordsWPC, raw boron materials, cone calorimeter, limited oxygen index, artificial weathering
- Effect of Boron and Phosphate compounds on Thermal and Fire Properties of wood/HDPE composites
- Effect of boron compounds on physical, mechanical, and fire properties of injection molded wood plastic composites
- Effects of fire retardants on physical, mechanical, and fire properties of flat-pressed WPCs
XML: View XML