Skip to Main Content
Potential impact of subterranean termites on cross-laminated timber (CLT) in the Southeastern U.SAuthor(s): C. Elizabeth Stokes; Rubin Shmulsky; Juliet D. Tang
Source: Proceedings, American wood protection association. 113: 214-219.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (927.0 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Going Big with Mass Timber Protection
DescriptionCross-laminated timber (CLT) is an emerging product in the North American mass timber market. Intended to compete with pre-cast concrete panels for modular construction, these laminated wall and floor-sized panels have been successfully used in European construction markets for the past 20 years. However, introduction of this material to areas of North America that have high pressure from subterranean termite and decay fungi may prove detrimental to the potential market for this product. This paper describes ongoing work seeking to describe interactions between CLT with both native and introduced termite species in the southeastern United States. Early results indicate that this material is susceptible to feeding by termites, is capable of water uptake providing a habitable environment within the material for decay organisms, and may not be easily evaluated by conventional means (i.e. visual rating currently in use versus more advanced X-ray scanning described here).
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStokes, C. Elizabeth; Shmulsky, Rubin; Tang, Juliet D. 2017. Potential impact of subterranean termites on cross-laminated timber (CLT) in the Southeastern U.S. Proceedings of the American Wood Protection Association. 113: 214-219.
KeywordsCross-laminated timber, termites, x-ray scanning, moisture content
- Evaluation of cross-laminated timber resistance to termite attack
- Durability of cross laminated timber against termite damage
- Utility of image software in quantification of termite damage on cross-laminated timber (CLT)
XML: View XML