Skip to Main Content
South Dakota Timber Industry, 2014Author(s): Brian F. Walters; Brian Garbisch; Ronald J. Piva
Source: Resource Update FS-157. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 5 p.
Publication Series: Resource Update (RU)
View PDF (479.0 KB)
DescriptionThis resource update provides an overview of timber product output (TPO) and use in South Dakota based on questionnaires designed to determine the size and composition of the State's primary wood-using industry, its use of roundwood, and its generation and disposition of wood residues. This study was a cooperative effort between the South Dakota Department of Agriculture, Resource Conservation and Forestry Division (SDRCF) and the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) unit at the Northern Research Station (NRS) of the USDA Forest Service. SDRCF surveyed primary wood-using mills and FIA processed and analyzed the survey responses. This update presents results from the 2014 survey with comparisons to the 2009 survey. Certain terms used in this report—retained, export, import, production, and receipts—have specialized meanings and relationships unique to the FIA program that surveys timber product output (Fig. 1). Additional definitions and a list of the TPO species groups are on pages 4 and 5 of this report.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWalters, Brian F.; Garbisch, Brian; Piva, Ronald J. 2018. South Dakota Timber Industry, 2014. Resource Update FS-157. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 5 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/FS-RU-157.
XML: View XML