Skip to Main Content
Armillaria mexicana, a newly described species from MexicoAuthor(s): Ruen Damian Elias-Roman; Rosario Medel-Ortiz; Dionicio Alvarado-Rosales; John W. Hanna; Amy L. Ross-Davis; Mee-Sook Kim; Ned B. Klopfenstein
Source: Mycologia. 110(2): 347-360.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionArmillaria mexicana (Agaricales, Physalacriaceae) is described as a new species based on morphology, DNA sequence data, and phylogenetic analyses. It clearly differs from previously reported Armillaria species in North, Central, and South America. It is characterized by the absence of fibulae in the basidioma, abundant cheilocystidia, and ellipsoidal, hyaline basidiospores that are apparently smooth under light microscope, but slightly to moderately rugulose under scanning electron microscope. It is differentiated from other Armillaria species by macromorphological characters, including annulus structure, pileus and stipe coloration, and other structures. DNA sequence data (nuc rDNA internal transcribed spacers [ITS1-5.8S-ITS2 = ITS], 28S D-domain, 3' end of 28S intergenic spacer 1, and translation elongation factor 1-α [TEF1]) show that A. mexicana sequences are quite distinct from sequences of analogous Armillaria species in GenBank. In addition, sequences of ITS of the A. mexicana ex-type culture reveal an ITS1 of 1299 bp and an ITS2 of 582 bp, the longest ITS regions reported thus far in fungi. Phylogenetic analysis based on TEF1 sequences place A. mexicana in a well-separated, monophyletic clade basal to the polyphyletic A. mellea complex.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationElias-Roman, Ruen Damian; Medel-Ortiz, Rosario; Alvarado-Rosales, Dionicio; Hanna, John W.; Ross-Davis, Amy L.; Kim, Mee-Sook; Klopfenstein, Ned B. 2018. Armillaria mexicana, a newly described species from Mexico. Mycologia. 110(2): 347-360.
Keywordsbasidiomycetes, new species, 1 new taxon, orchard trees, pathogenic fungi, root disease pathogen
- The phylogenetic position of an Armillaria species from Amami-Oshima, a subtropical island of Japan, based on elongation factor and ITS sequences
- Coniophoropsis bambusicola sp. nov. (Coniophoraceae, Basidiomycota) from southern Vietnam
- Phylogeny and taxonomy of Echinodontium and related genera
XML: View XML