Skip to Main Content
IntroductionAuthor(s): Susana Barreiro; Mart-Jan Schelhaas; Gerald Kändler; Ronald E. McRoberts
Source: In: Barreiro, Susana; Schelhaas, Mart-Jan; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Kändler, Gerald. Forest inventory-based projection systems for wood and biomass availability. Dodrecht, Netherlands: Springer: 3-15.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (284.0 KB)
DescriptionFor millennia, forests have been a strategic resource for mankind, providing building material for houses, ships, and mining; household and industrial fuel; hunting grounds and grazing opportunities for cattle. Despite its strategic importance, forest management was often not sustainable. Many European countries have a long history of deforestation and overexploitation of forest resources. North America has also seen substantial deforestation since European colonization. The principles of sustainable forest management were formulated around 1700 by Von Carlowitz in Germany (1713). Centuries later the concept of sustainability became popular under the term "sustainable development" as coined by the Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development: Our Common Future, also known as the Brundtland report (http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBarreiro, Susana; Schelhaas, Mart-Jan; Kändler, Gerald; McRoberts, Ronald E. 2017. Introduction. In: Barreiro, Susana; Schelhaas, Mart-Jan; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Kändler, Gerald. Forest inventory-based projection systems for wood and biomass availability. Dodrecht, Netherlands: Springer: 3-15.
- Forest Fuels Management in Europe
- GSD Update: It works both ways: How scientists and managers join forces to conserve today’s natural resources
- A synoptic review of U.S. rangelands: a technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA Assessment
XML: View XML