Skip to Main Content
Integrated production of furfural and levulinic acid from corncob in a one-pot batch reaction incorporating distillation using step temperature profilingAuthor(s): Hairui Ji; J. Y. Zhu; Roland Gleisner
Source: RSC Adv. 7(73): 46208-46214.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionFurfural and levulinic acid (LA) are potential major renewable platform chemicals for producing biochemicals and biofuels. In this study, integrated conversion of corncob to furfural and LA was carried out in a one-pot system using p-toluenesulfonic acid (p-TsOH) and step temperature profiling. A batch reaction incorporating distillation (BRD) resulted in a good furfural production yield of 61.6% based on the corncob xylan content for the hydrolysis conditions tested. Distillation not only reduced furfural loss due to side reactions to humins, but also resulted in a fairly pure and concentrated furfural solution. At the end of the first distillation step, the reaction temperature was increased to convert hexoses into LA with a maximal production yield of 61.3 7.8% based on corncob glucan content. LA was extracted with good yield as LA–ester using low-cost alcohols and then phase separated to recycle alcohols and p-TsOH. Good recyclability and reusability of p-TsOH and alcohols were demonstrated.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJi, Hairui; Zhu, J.Y.; Gleisner, Roland. 2017. Integrated production of furfural and levulinic acid from corncob in a one-pot batch reaction incorporating distillation using step temperature profiling. Royal Society of Chemistry Advances. 7(73): 46208-46214.
KeywordsFurfural, levulinic acid, corn cob, two-step temperature profiling, one-pot, phase separation, batch distillation, green processing
- Reaction kinetics based optimization of furfural production from corncob using a fully recyclable solid acid
- Dilute acid pretreatment of corncob for efficient sugar production
- The effect of high intensity mixing on the enzymatic hydrolysis of concentrated cellulose fiber suspensions
XML: View XML