Skip to Main Content
Wood resources assessment beyond EuropeAuthor(s): Laura Hernandez; Iciar Alberdi; Ronald E. McRoberts; David Morales-Hidalgo; John Redmond; Claude Vidal
Source: In: Vidal, Claude; Alberdi, Iciar; Hernandez, Laura; Redmond, John. National forest inventories. Geneva, Switzerland: Springer International: 105-118.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (10.0 MB)
DescriptionForest ecosystems provide wood and many other services that contribute significantly to human well-being at local, national, and global scales. These contributions include the conservation of soil and water resources, mitigation of the effects of global climate change, conservation of biological diversity, improvement of urban living conditions, protection of natural and cultural heritage, subsistence resources for many rural and indigenous communities, generation of employment, as well as recreational opportunities (MEA 2005). Due to the importance of forests for humanity, the evolution of the world's forest functions and services, are a major concern in international agreements and processes that address environmental and development issues such as the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), the United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF), or, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHernandez, Laura; Alberdi, Iciar; McRoberts, Ronald E.; Morales-Hidalgo, David; Redmond, John; Vidal, Claude. 2016. Wood resources assessment beyond Europe. In: Vidal, Claude; Alberdi, Iciar; Hernandez, Laura; Redmond, John. National forest inventories. Geneva, Switzerland: Springer International: 105-118. Chapter 5.
- Interacting effects of multiple stresses on growth and physiological processes in northern forest trees
- Catalyzing sustainability: Cornell University's field practicum in conservation and sustainable development
- USDA Forest Service Global Change Research Program Highlights: 1991-1995
XML: View XML