Skip to Main Content
Modeling and mapping basal area of Pinus taeda L. plantation using airborne LiDAR dataAuthor(s): Carlos A. Silva; Carine Klauberg; Andrew T. Hudak; Lee A. Vierling; Scott J. Fennema; Ana Paula D. Corte
Source: Annals of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences. 89(3): 1895-1905.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionBasal area (BA) is a good predictor of timber stand volume and forest growth. This study developed predictive models using field and airborne LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) data for estimation of basal area in Pinus taeda plantation in south Brazil. In the field, BA was collected from conventional forest inventory plots. Multiple linear regression models for predicting BA from LiDAR-derived metrics were developed and evaluated for predictive power and parsimony. The best model to predict BA from a family of six models was selected based on corrected Akaike Information Criterion (AICc) and assessed by the adjusted coefficient of determination (adj. R²) and root mean square error (RMSE). The best model revealed an adj. R²=0.93 and RMSE=7.74%. Leave one out cross-validation of the best regression model was also computed, and revealed an adj. R² and RMSE of 0.92 and 8.31%, respectively. This study showed that LiDAR-derived metrics can be used to predict BA in Pinus taeda plantations in south Brazil with high precision. We conclude that there is good potential to monitor growth in this type of plantations using airborne LiDAR. We hope that the promising results for BA modeling presented herein will stimulate to operate this technology in Brazil.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSilva, Carlos A.; Klauberg, Carine; Hudak, Andrew T.; Vierling, Lee A.; Fennema, Scott J.; Corte, Ana Paula D. 2017. Modeling and mapping basal area of Pinus taeda L. plantation using airborne LiDAR data. Annals of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences. 89(3): 1895-1905.
Keywordsforest inventory, LiDAR metrics, multiple linear regression, remote sensing
- Mapping aboveground carbon stocks using LiDAR data in Eucalyptus spp. plantations in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Predicting stem total and assortment volumes in an industrial Pinus taeda L. forest plantation using airborne laser scanning data and random forest
- A principal component approach for predicting the stem volume in Eucalyptus plantations in Brazil using airborne LiDAR data
XML: View XML