Assessment of nontimber forest products in the United States under changing conditionsAuthor(s): James L. Chamberlain; Marla R. Emery; Toral Patel-Weynand
Source: General Technical Report SRS-232, US Forest Service, Southern Research Station
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
View PDF (10.0 MB)
DescriptionNontimber forest products (NTFPs) are fundamental to the functioning of healthy forests and play vital roles in the cultures and economies of the people of the United States. However, these plants and fungi used for food, medicine, and other purposes have not been fully incorporated into management, policy, and resource valuation. This report is a forest-sectorwide assessment of the state of the knowledge regarding NTFPs science and management information for U.S. forests and rangelands (and hereafter referred to as the NTFP assessment). The NTFP assessment serves as a baseline science synthesis and provides information for managing nontimber forest resources in the United States. In addition, this NTFP assessment provides information for national-level reporting on natural capital and the ecosystem services NTFPs provide. The report also provides technical input to the 2017 National Climate Assessment (NCA) under development by the U.S. Global Change Research Program (USGCRP).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChamberlain, James L.; Emery, Marla R.; Patel-Weynand, Toral. 2018. Assessment of nontimber forest products in the United States under changing conditions. General Technical Report SRS-GTR-232. USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 268p. https://doi.org/10.2737/SRS-GTR-232
KeywordsClimate variability, ecosystem services, nontimber forest products (NTFP), management, regulations
- Nontimber forest products in the United States: Montreal Process indicators as measures of current conditions and sustainability
- Chapter 8: Conclusions: Nontimber forest products in an era of changing climate
- Chapter 7 - Policies and regulations concerning non-timber forest products
XML: View XML