Skip to Main Content
Common ground: Art, data and ecology at New York State field stationsAuthor(s): Kevin Duggan; Lindsay K. Campbell; Bram Gunther; Carol Parkinson
Source: New York, NY: Harvestworks Digital Media Arts Center and New York City Urban Field Station. 28 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.0 MB)
DescriptionThis report assesses the potential for collaboration in New York State between the arts and field stations: places and programs where scientific researchers conduct long-term studies of diverse ecosystems. It provides an overview of how and where this transdisciplinary work is currently taking place, and makes recommendations to advance this effort across the state. It seeks to encourage further opportunities for artists that, when combined with environmental research, can aid community development and quality of life by advancing awareness of social-ecological systems: how people use, perceive, and shape our environment. This project itself is a reflection of the benefits of such collaborations. It is a partnership between Harvestworks, a NYC-based media arts organization, and the New York City Urban Field Station, which advances research, environmental stewardship, and ecological literacy to improve well-being in New York City and many other urban areas, cities, towns, and regions. The project was made possible by a generous grant from New York State’s Regional Economic Development Council.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDuggan, Kevin; Campbell, Lindsay K.; Gunther, Bram; Parkinson, Carol. 2018. Common ground: Art, data and ecology at New York State field stations. New York, NY: Harvestworks Digital Media Arts Center and New York City Urban Field Station. 28 p.
- Confluence of arts, humanities, and science at sites of long-term ecological inquiry
- The organisational structure of urban environmental stewardship
- Expanding the vision of the Experimental Forest and Range network to urban areas
XML: View XML