Skip to Main Content
New cellulose crystallinity estimation method that differentiates between organized and crystalline phasesAuthor(s): Umesh P. Agarwal; Sally A. Ralph; Richard S. Reiner; Carlos Baez
Source: Carbohydrate Polymers. 190: 262-270.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionA new method is proposed for estimation of cellulose crystallinity (CrI) based on 93 cm−1 Raman band in spectra of cellulose I materials. In this method (93-Raman), CrI was determined based on regression that was developed using the ratios of peak-heights of the 93 and 1096 cm−1 Raman bands (I93/I1096). For calibration purposes, a set of eight samples, all derived from cotton microcrystalline cellulose Whatman CC31 were selected. When the peak intensity ratios (I93/I1096) were plotted against the calculated CrIs of the calibration set samples, the plot showed an excellent linear correlation (R2=0.9888). The 93-Raman method was used to estimate crystallinities of a number of cellulose materials including poplar wood samples that were hydrothermally treated at various temperatures. The wood 93-Raman CrI data showed that the method is able to differentiate between organized and crystalline phases of cellulose, a capability lacking in many other CrI estimation methods.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAgarwal, Umesh P.; Ralph, Sally A.; Reiner, Richard S.; Baez, Carlos. 2018. New cellulose crystallinity estimation method that differentiates between organized and crystalline phases. Carbohydrate Polymers. 190: 262-270.
KeywordsCellulose crystallinity, Raman spectroscopy, Low frequency, Organized, Crystalline, Hydrothermal, Wood
- Cellulose I crystallinity determination using FT-Raman spectroscopy : univariate and multivariate methods
- Chapter 1.1 Crystallinity of Nanocellulose Materials by Near-IR FT-Raman Spectroscopy
- Determination of cellulose I crystallinity by FT-Raman spectroscopy
XML: View XML