Skip to Main Content
Local and general above-ground biomass functions for Pinus palustris treesAuthor(s): Carlos A. Gonzalez-Benecke; Dehai Zhao; Lisa J. Samuelson; Timothy A. Martin; Daniel J. Leduc; Steven B. Jack
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThere is an increasing interest in estimating biomass for longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.), an important tree species in the southeastern U.S. Most of the individual-tree allometric models available for the species are local, relying on stem diameter outside bark at breast height (DBH) and total tree height (HT), but seldom include stand-level variables such as stand age, basal area or stand density. Using the biomass dataset of 296 longleaf pine trees sampled in the southeastern U.S. by different forestry research institutions, we developed a set of local and general systems of tree biomass equations to predict total tree total above-stump biomass, bole biomass outside bark, live branch biomass and live foliage biomass. The local systems were based on DBH or DBH and HT, and the general systems included in addition to DBH and HT, stand-level variables such as age, basal area and stand density. This paper reports the first set of general allometric equations reported for longleaf pine trees. These systems of biomass equations provide tools to support managers in making management decisions for the species in a variety of ecological, silvicultural and economics applications. The systems can be applied to trees growing over a large geographical area and having a wide range of ages and stand characteristics.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGonzalez-Benecke, Carlos A.; Zhao, Dehai; Samuelson, Lisa J.; Martin, Timothy A.; Leduc, Daniel J.; Jack, Steven B. 2018. Local and general above-ground biomass functions for Pinus palustris trees. Forests. 9: 310. 17 p.
Keywordslongleaf pine, allometry, carbon stock modeling
- Local and general above-stump biomass functions for loblolly pine and slash pine trees
- Individual tree diameter, height, and volume functions for longleaf pine
- Modeling survival, yield, volume partitioning and their response to thinning for longleaf pine plantations
XML: View XML