Skip to Main Content
Mechanical Properties of 23 Species of Eastern Hardwoods.Author(s): B. A. Bendtsen; R. L. Ethington
Source: (Research note FPL ; 0230):12 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (47 KB)
DescriptionImportant mechanical properties of clear, straight-grained wood of 23 species are tabulated, along with coefficients of variation. These property estimates can be used to match up species with kind of material needed for a specific job, or to search for substitutes for a presently used species. Some of the species appear, with allowable properties, in two published plywood manuals. There are no similar hardwood lumber stress grades, but standard methods exist for generating them, should interest develop.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBendtsen, B. A.; Ethington, R. L. 1975. Mechanical Properties of 23 Species of Eastern Hardwoods. (Research note FPL ; 0230):12 p.
KeywordsMechanical properties, Specific gravity, Stress grading, Allowable properties, Design properties
- Physical properties and moisture relations of wood
- Moisture relations and physical properties of wood
- Mechanical properties of wood
XML: View XML