Skip to Main Content
Forest Products Laboratory natural finishAuthor(s): J. M. Black; D. F. Laughnan; E. A. Mraz
Source: (Research note FPL ; 046):7 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (77 KB)
DescriptionA simple and durable exterior natural finish developed at the Forest Products Laboratory is described. The finish is classified as a semi-transparent oil-base penetrating stain that effectively retains much of the natural grain and texture of wood when exposed to the weather. The directions for preparation are included as are the recommendations for application to both smooth and rough wood surfaces.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBlack, J. M.; Laughnan, D. F.; Mraz, E. A. 1979. Forest Products Laboratory natural finish. (Research note FPL ; 046):7 p.
KeywordsDurability, Finishes, Stains, Redwood, Western redcedar, Philippine mahogany, Siding, Color retention
- Solid-Color Stains on Western Redcedar and Redwood Siding
- Sound wood residue left after experimental cuttings in old-growth redwood
- Status of natural resources in Redwood Creek basin, Redwood National Park
XML: View XML