Skip to Main Content
Using transverse vibration nondestructive testing techniques to estimate stiffness and strength of southern pine lumberAuthor(s): Frederico J.N. Franca; R. Daniel Seale; Robert J. Ross; Rubin Shmulsky; Tamara S.F. Amorim Franca
Source: Res. Paper FPL-RP-695. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 8 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThis research focused on evaluating the bending stiffness and strength of structural lumber with transverse vibration nondestructive testing techniques. A random sample of nominal 2-in.- (standard 38-mm-) thick Southern Pine dimension lumber was obtained from several mills in southeastern United States. After conditioning, the lumber specimens were nondestructively tested using transverse vibration techniques. Modulus of elasticity (MOE) was determined using the frequency of oscillation and density. Static bending MOE and strength were then determined for each specimen. Statistical analyses were then performed to examine the relationships between transverse vibration modulus values and bending MOE and strength. Excellent relationships were observed between transverse vibration and static bending MOE values. Strong relationships were found between transverse vibration MOE and bending strength.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFranca, Frederico J.N.; Seale, R. Daniel; Ross, Robert J.; Shmulsky, Rubin; Amorim Franca, Tamara S.F. 2018. Using transverse vibration nondestructive testing techniques to estimate stiffness and strength of southern pine lumber. Res. Paper FPL-RP-695. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. 8 p.
KeywordsTransverse vibration, nondestructive, bending strength, modulus of elasticity
- Nondestructive evaluation of tensile properties of structural lumber from the spruce-pine-fir species grouping: phase 1 evaluation of modulus of elasticity
- Nondestructive evaluation of green wood using stress wave and transverse vibration techniques
- Comparison of nondestructive testing methods for evaluating No. 2 Southern Pine lumber: Part B, modulus of rupture
XML: View XML