New characters and redescription of dendroctonus vitei (coleoptera: curculionidae: scolytinae)Author(s): Francisco Armendáriz-Toledano; Jazmín García-Román; María Fernanda López; Brian T. Sullivan; Gerardo Zúñiga
Source: The Canadian Entomologist
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (4.0 MB)
The taxonomic status of Dendroctonus vitei Wood (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) and Dendroctonus
mexicanus Hopkins is supported by biological and morphological data. However, the differentiation of these species has been extremely difﬁcult because most of the morphological characters have not been well illustrated and some of them are geographically variable. Seminal rod shape has been the only reliable characteristic to identify these species. The main purpose of this study was to look for new morphological characters for the identiﬁcation of these species as well as to evaluate geographic variation of those previously reported characters in order to produce a comprehensive redescription of D. vitei. A total of 33 morphological characters from antenna, stridulatory apparatus, male and female genitalia, and external morphology were compared between the similar species D. vitei and D. mexicanus, and we identiﬁed ﬁve novel diagnostic characters and conﬁrmed previously reported characters that differentiate these two species from each other and from other species in the Dendroctonus frontalis Zimmermann complex (sensu stricto). Furthermore, these characters and those of the seminal rod allowed us to re-evaluate some previously reported records for other species to broaden the known distribution of D. vitei.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationArmendáriz-Toledano, Francisco; García-Román, Jazmín; López, María Fernanda; Sullivan, Brian T.; Zúñiga, Gerardo. 2017. New characters and redescription of Dendroctonus vitei (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae). The Canadian Entomologist. 149(04): 413-433. https://doi.org/10.4039/tce.2017.10.
- Cryptic species discrimination in western pine beetle, Dendroctonus brevicomis LeConte (Curculionidae: Scolytinae), based on morphological characters and geometric morphometrics
- A new species of bark beetle, Dendroctonus mesoamericanus sp nov. (Curculionidae: Scolytinae), in southern Mexico and Central America
- Two species within Dedroctonus frontalis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae): evidence from morphological, karyological, molecular, and crossing studies.
XML: View XML