Skip to Main Content
Forest land use responses to wood product marketsAuthor(s): Taek Joo Kim; David N. Wear; John Coulston; Ruhong Li
Source: Forest Policy and Economics
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (326.0 KB)
Related Research Highlights
Understanding how forest area will change in response to competing land uses
DescriptionLand use measurements collected by the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program allow for monitoring and modeling changes among a detailed set of land use categories. We analyze these data in the southeastern United States to test hypotheses regarding the influence of timber and other land rents, population growth, and various topographic position variables on transitions among rural and developed land uses. This region provides a complete and recent set of land use and forest measurement, is the most important and dynamic timber production region in the world, and increasingly is the focus of international policy debates regarding wood based bioenergy. This analysis is the first to link specific land use changes with forest conditions for modeling rural land use response. While previous studies have relied on aggregate measures of timber values, the detailed forest condition measures allow for site-specific estimates of timber quasi-rents, providing new and unique insights into the influence of timber market conditions on land use changes. Results provide an empirical analysis of the influence of timber rent on transitions to all other uses and specifically show that higher timber rents reduce transitions of forests to all other rural land uses as well as to developed land uses. The latter finding is unique and provides support for the claim that stronger timber markets enhance the area of forests and alter patterns of land use change including patterns of development in the southeastern United States.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKim, Taek Joo; Wear, David N.; Coulston, John; Li, Ruhong. 2018. Forest land use responses to wood product markets. Forest Policy and Economics. 93: 45-52.
KeywordsTimber quasi-rents, Forest conversion, Population, Agricultural cash rent, Southeast
- An assessment of the influence of bioenergy and marketed land amenity values on land uses in the midwestern US
- Future forestland area: impacts from population growth and other factors that affect land values.
- Landscape development and mule deer habitat in Central Oregon
XML: View XML