Skip to Main Content
Comprehensive multiyear carbon budget of a temperate headwater streamAuthor(s): Alba Argerich; Roy Haggerty; Sherri L. Johnson; Steven M. Wondzell; Nicholas Dosch; Hayley Corson-Rikert; Linda R. Ashkenas; Robert Pennington; Christoph K. Thomas
Source: Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionHeadwater streams comprise nearly 90% of the total length of perennial channels in global catchments. They mineralize organic carbon entering from terrestrial systems, evade terrestrial carbon dioxide (CO2), and generate and remove carbon through in-stream primary production and respiration. Despite their importance, headwater streams are often neglected in global carbon budgets primarily because of a lack of available data. We measured these processes, in detail, over a 10 year period in a stream draining a 96 ha forested watershed in western Oregon, USA. This stream, which represents only 0.4% of the watershed area, exported 159 kg C ha-1 yr-1, similar to the global exports for large rivers. Stream export was dominated by downstream transport of dissolved inorganic carbon (63 kg C ha-1 yr-1) and by evasion of CO2 to the atmosphere (42 kg C ha-1 yr-1), leaving the remainder of 51 kg C ha-1 yr-1 for downstream transport of organic carbon (17 kg C ha-1 yr-1 and 34 kg C ha-1 yr-1 in dissolved and particulate form, respectively).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationArgerich, Alba; Haggerty, Roy; Johnson, Sherri L.; Wondzell, Steven M.; Dosch, Nicholas; Corson-Rikert, Hayley; Ashkenas, Linda R.; Pennington, Robert; Thomas, Christoph K. 2016. Comprehensive multiyear carbon budget of a temperate headwater stream. Journal of Geophysical Research: Biogeosciences, Vol. 121(5): 10 pages.: 1306-1315.
- Stream carbon dynamics in low-gradient headwaters of a forested watershed
- Retenation of soluble organic nutrients by a forested ecosystem
- The urban watershed continuum: evolving spatial and temporal dimensions
XML: View XML