Skip to Main Content
Spin-coating: a new approach for improving dispersion of cellulose nanocrystals and mechanical properties of poly (lactic acid) compositesAuthor(s): Jamileh Shojaeiarani; Dilpreet S. Bajwa; Nicole M. Stark
Source: Carbohydrate Polymers. 190: 139-147.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
Download Publication (2.0 MB)
DescriptionThis study systematically evaluated the influence of masterbatch preparation techniques, solvent casting and spin-coating methods, on composite properties. Composites were manufactured by combining CNCs masterbatches and PLA resin using twin screw extruder followed by injection molding. Different microscopy techniques were used to investigate the dispersion of CNCs in masterbatches and composites. Thermal, thermomechanical, and mechanical properties of composites were evaluated. Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) images showed superior dispersion of CNCs in spin-coated masterbatches compared to solvent cast masterbatches. At lower CNCs concentrations, both SEM and optical microscope images confirmed more uniform CNCs dispersion in spin-coated composites than solvent cast samples. Degree of crystallinity of PLA exhibited a major enhancement by 147% and 380% in solvent cast and spin-coated composites, respectively. Spin-coated composites with lower CNCs concentration exhibited a noticeable improvement in mechanical properties. However, lower thermal characteristics in spin-coated composites were observed, which could be attributed to the residual solvents in masterbatches.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShojaeiarani, Jamileh; Bajwa, Dilpreet S.; Stark, Nicole M. 2018. Spin-coating: a new approach for improving dispersion of cellulose nanocrystals and mechanical properties of poly (lactic acid) composites. Carbohydrate Polymers. 190: 139-147.
KeywordsPoly(lactic acid), cellulose nanocrystals, masterbatch, composites, solvent casting, spin-coating
- Spin coating method improved the performance characteristics of films obtained from poly(lactic acid) and cellulose nanocrystals
- Rheological properties of cellulose nanocrystals engineered polylactic acid nanocomposites
- Green esterification: a new approach to improve thermal and mechanical properties of poly(lactic acid) composites reinforced by cellulose nanocrystals
XML: View XML