Skip to Main Content
Summary for policymakers of the regional assessment report on biodiversity and ecosystem services for the Americas of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem ServicesAuthor(s): Jake Rice; Cristiana Simão Seixas; María Elena Zaccagnini; Mauricio BedoyaGaitán; Natalia Valderrama; Christopher B. Anderson; Mary T. K. Arroyo; Mercedes Bustamante; Jeannine Cavender-Bares; Antonio Diaz-de-Leon; Siobhan Fennessy; Jaime Ricardo García Márquez; Keisha Garcia; Eileen H. Helmer; Bernal Herrera; Brian Klatt; Jean P. Ometo; Vanesa Rodríguez Osuna; Fabio R. Scarano; Steven Schill; Juliana Sampaio Farinaci
Source: IPBES book
Publication Series: Book
Station: International Institute of Tropical Forestry
PDF: Download Publication (6.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Regional Assessment Report on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services for the Americas produced by the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) provides a critical analysis of the state of knowledge regarding the importance, status, and trends of biodiversity and nature’s contributions to people. The assessment analyses the direct and underlying causes for the observed changes in biodiversity and in nature’s contributions to people, and the impact that these changes have on the quality of life of people. The assessment, finally, identifies a mix of governance options, policies and management practices that are currently available to reduce the loss of biodiversity and of nature’s contributions to people in that region. The assessment addresses terrestrial, freshwater, and coastal biodiversity and covers current status and trends, going back in time several decades, and future projections, with a focus on the 2020-2050 period.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRice, J.; Seixas, C.S.; Zaccagnini, M.E.; Bedoya-Gaitán, M.; Valderrama, N.; Anderson, C.B.; Arroyo, M.T.K.; Bustamante, M.; Cavender-Bares, J.; Diaz-de-Leon, A.; Fennessy, S.; García Márquez, J. R.; Garcia, K.; Helmer, E.H.; Herrera, B.; Klatt, B.; Ometo, J.P.; Rodríguez Osuna, V.; Scarano, F.R.; Schill, S.; Farinaci, J. S. (eds.). 2018. Summary for policymakers of the regional assessment report on biodiversity and ecosystem services for the Americas of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services. IPBES secretariat, Bonn, Germany. 41 pages.
Keywordsbiodiversity, ecosystem services, nature, people, regional assessment, governance, policy
- Forest biodiversity and the delivery of ecosystem goods and services: translating science into policy
- Role of eucalypt and other planted forests in biodiversity conservation and the provision of biodiversity-related services
- Summary for policymakers of the assessment report on land degradation and restoration of the Intergovernmental Science- Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services
XML: View XML