Skip to Main Content
Northern Great Plains Forests 2015Author(s): Dacia M. Meneguzzo; David E. Haugen; Brian F. Walters; Brett J. Butler; Susan J. Crocker; Cassandra M. Kurtz; Randall S. Morin; Mark D. Nelson; Ronald J. Piva; James E. Smith
Source: Resour. Bull. NRS-116 Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 108 p.
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Northern Research Station
View PDF (16.0 MB)
DescriptionThe 2015 inventory of the forests of the Northern Great Plains States (Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota) reports more than 6.8 million acres of forest land and almost 2.2 billion trees. Forest land is dominated by the ponderosa pine and sugarberry/hackberry/elm/green ash forest types, which together occupy one-third of the total forest land area. The volume of growing stock on timberland currently totals 4.6 billion cubic feet. The average annual net growth of live trees from 2010 to 2015 was nearly 157 million cubic feet per year. This report includes additional information on forest attributes, carbon, timber products, and forest health. The following information is available online at https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-116: 1) descriptive information on forest inventory statistics, methods, and quality assurance of data collection; 2) tables that summarize quality assurance; 3) a core set of tabular estimates for a variety of forest resources; and 4) a Microsoft® Access database that represents an archive of data used in this report, with tools that allow users to produce customized estimates.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMeneguzzo, Dacia M.; Haugen, David E.; Walters, Brian F.; Butler, Brett J.; Crocker, Susan J.; Kurtz, Cassandra M.; Morin, Randall S.; Nelson, Mark D.; Piva, Ronald J.; Smith, James E. 2018. Northern Great Plains Forests 2015. Resour. Bull. NRS-116 Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 108 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-RB-116.
Keywordsinventory, forest statistics, forest land, trees outside forests, volume, biomass, carbon, growth, removals, mortality, forest health, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota
- A Practical Field Method of Site Evaluation for Commercially Important Southern Hardwoods
- Black Willow
XML: View XML