Skip to Main Content
Dynamic fracture toughness of cellulose-fiber-reinforced polypropylene : preliminary investigation of microstructural effectsAuthor(s): Craig M. Clemons; Daniel F. Caulfield; A. Jeffrey Giacomin
Source: Journal of elastomers and plastics. Vol. 31 (Oct. 1999).:p. 367-378 : ill.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (221 KB)
DescriptionIn this study, the microstructure of injection-molded polypropylene reinforced with cellulose fiber was investigated. Scanning electron microscopy of the fracture surfaces and X-ray diffraction were used to investigate fiber orientation. The polypropylene matrix was removed by solvent extraction, and the lengths of the residual fibers were optically determined. Fiber lengths were reduced by one-half when compounded in a high-intensity thermokinetic mixer and then injection molded. At low fiber contents, there is little fiber orientation; at high fiber contents, a layered structure arises. To better understand mechanisms of fracture under impact loading, dynamic fracture analysis was performed based on linear elastic fracture mechanics. Dynamic critical energy release rates and dynamic critical stress intensity factors were deduced from instrumented Charpy impact test measurements. Dynamic fracture toughness increased with cellulose content and with orientation of fibers perpendicular to the crack direction. A preliminary evaluation of a simple model relating the microstructure to the dynamic fracture toughness shows promise, but further work is needed to assess its validity.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationClemons, Craig M.; Caulfield, Daniel F.; Giacomin, A. Jeffrey. 1999. Dynamic fracture toughness of cellulose-fiber-reinforced polypropylene : preliminary investigation of microstructural effects. Journal of elastomers and plastics. Vol. 31 (Oct. 1999).:p. 367-378 : ill.
KeywordsPolypropylenes, Cellulose, Fibers, Fracture, Toughness, Microstructure
- Impact toughness of cellulose-fiber reinforced polypropylene : influence of microstructure in laminates and injection molded composites
- Effect of configuration and some processing variables on the properties of wood fiber-polyethylene composites
- Tensile properties of wood flour/kenaf fiber polypropylene hybrid composites
XML: View XML