Skip to Main Content
Sawn hardwoodAuthor(s): William Luppold; Matthew Bumgardner; Klaus Kottwitz; Fran Maplesden; Igor Novoselov
Source: In: UNECE/FAO Forest Products Annual Market Review 2017-2018. Geneva, Switzerland: United Nations: 50-61. Chapter 5.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThe decrease in sawn hardwood consumption continues in the UNECE region in 2017, dropping by 3.2% to 34.4 million m3, the lowest value in the last four years. Sawn hardwood production in the UNECE region was relatively flat, at 41.7 million m3, with slight or no increases in Europe and North America and a rise in the CIS. Global demand for hardwood remained strong in 2017, enabling sawn hardwood producers to ship record volumes to markets outside the UNECE region, mainly China. Sawn hardwood exports in the UNECE region reached an all-time high in 2017, increasing by 9.6% to 13.7 million m3. Strong demand for sawn hardwood enabled producers to maintain production. Global demand for hardwood logs was even stronger, with prices up significantly in 2017. European and North American producers are increasingly concerned about a shortage of raw materials caused by increasing Chinese demand for hardwood logs (particularly oak). Outside the UNECE region, the Asia-Pacific region continued to dominate trade in tropical sawn hardwood in 2017, with China the major global importer and Thailand and Malaysia the biggest exporters.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLuppold, William; Bumgardner, Matthew; Kottwitz, Klaus; Maplesden, Fran; Novoselov, Igor. 2018. Sawn hardwood. In: UNECE/FAO Forest Products Annual Market Review 2017-2018. Geneva, Switzerland: United Nations: 50-61. Chapter 5.
- Riding the crest of the wave : sawn softwood markets in 2003-2004
- U.S. Hardwood Product Exports to Canada and a Look at U.S. Hardwood Resources
- Pulp & paper markets cope with high energy prices and growth in Asia : markets for paper, paperboard and woodpulp, 2005-2006
XML: View XML