Skip to Main Content
Catalytic cracking of triglycerides with a base catalyst and modification of pyrolytic oils for production of aviation fuelsAuthor(s): Fanglin Li; Jianchun Jiang; Peng Liu; Qiaolong Zhai; Fei Wang; Chung-yun Hse; Junming Xu
Source: Sustainable Energy & Fuels
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
Download Publication (855.0 KB)
DescriptionMolecular structure transformation is a critical step for synthesis of aviation biofuels from triglycerides, to yield alkanes, aromatics and cycloalkanes. To this end, triglycerides were treated by catalytic cracking coupled with rectification to obtain hydrocarbon fuels, and the molecular weight of the liquid product was adjusted to the desirable boiling range of aviation fuel. To further modify the molecular structures, the pyrolytic hydrocarbons were partially converted into aromatics and cycloalkanes by a two-step process. Different raw materials including soybean oil, rubber seed oil, waste cooking oil and acidified oil were cracked with a 5 wt% base catalyst at 350–450 C (under the atmospheric pressure) in a benchtop reactor. Afterwards, the linear hydrocarbons of C8–C15 size were transformed into aromatics by HZSM- 5 at 350 C for 6 h. Then, a portion of the aromatics were converted into cycloalkanes catalyzed by Pd/ AC at 200 C and 6 MPa (H2) for 6 h. As a result, a desirable mixture of linear hydrocarbons, aromatics and cycloalkanes was obtained with a similar composition and properties to traditional fossil aviation fuels.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLi, Fanglin; Jiang, Jianchun; Liu, Peng; Zhai, Qiaolong; Wang, Fei; Hse, Chung-yun; Xu, Junming. 2018. Catalytic cracking of triglycerides with a base catalyst and modification of pyrolytic oils for production of aviation fuels. Sustainable Energy & Fuels. 2(6): 1206-1215. https://doi.org/10.1039/c7se00505a.
- Trace gas fluxes from intensively managed rice and soybean fields across three growing seasons in the Brazilian Amazon
- Rain water deficit and irrigation demand of major row crops in the Mississippi Delta
- Improved water resistance of bio-based adhesives for wood bonding
XML: View XML