Skip to Main Content
Ecosystem services from forested landscapes: an overviewAuthor(s): Guillermo M. Pastur; Ajith H. Perera; Urmas Peterson; Louis R. Iverson
Source: In: Perera, Ajith H.; Peterson, Urmas; Pastur, Guillermo M.; Iverson, Louis R., eds. Ecosystem services from forest landscapes: broadscale considerations. New York, NY: Springer International: 1-10.
Publication Series: Book Chapter
Station: Northern Research Station
Download Publication (298.0 KB)
DescriptionHuman beings derive direct benefit from an array of ecosystem goods as well as from the activities and products of organisms, in both wild and human-dominated ecosystems (Daily et al. 1997; Levin and Lubchenco 2008). These benefits from nature have been readily available throughout most of human history. To this day, societies take many of these natural services for granted (Daily 1997, MEA 2005), even while the support systems that provide them are being severely degraded (Vitousek et al. 1997; Levin and Lubchenco 2008; Seppelt et al. 2011). The central challenge of this century is to develop economic and social systems and supporting systems of governance from local to global scales that will achieve sustainable levels of human population and consumption while also maintaining the ecosystem life-support services that underpin human well-being (Guerry et al. 2015).
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPastur, Guillermo M.; Perera, Ajith H.; Peterson, Urmas; Iverson, Louis R. 2018. Ecosystem services from forested landscapes: an overview. In: Perera, Ajith H.; Peterson, Urmas; Pastur, Guillermo M.; Iverson, Louis R., eds. Ecosystem services from forest landscapes: broadscale considerations. New York, NY: Springer International: 1-10.
- Modeling human-environmental systems
- Man's nature: innate determinants of response to natural environments
- Finding aroma clues in the human breath to diagnose diseases
XML: View XML