Experimental forests of the Southern Research Station: highlights of foundational silviculture studiesAuthor(s): Stephanie H. Laseter; James M. Vose; James M. Guldin; Don C. Bragg; Martin A. Spetich; Tara L. Keyser; Katherine J. Elliott; Mary Anne S. Sayer; Shi-Jean Susana. Sung
Source: In: Kirschman, Julia E., comp. Proceedings of the 19th biennial southern silvicultural research conference; 2017 March 14-16; Blacksburg, VA. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-234. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station
Publication Series: Proceedings - Paper (PR-P)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (434.0 KB)
DescriptionThe U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station is home to 19 Experimental Forests (EFs) that provide unique opportunities for long-term experimentation and demonstration on forest management practices (fig. 1). Numerous studies on silviculture practices, growth and yield, applied ecology, reforestation, and prescribed fire have originated on EFs and were possible because of partnerships with National Forest System, State and Private Forestry, and other stakeholders. Experimental Forests allow for demonstrations of innovative management practices built on long-term research findings developed in the 20th century to be applied in the 21st. Here, we highlight a selection of foundational studies at EFs in Arkansas, North Carolina, and Louisiana.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Laseter, Stephanie H.; Vose, James M.; Guldin, James M.; Bragg, Don C.; Spetich, Martin A.; Keyser, Tara L.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Sayer, Mary Anne S.; Sung, Shi-Jean Susana. 2018. Experimental forests of the Southern Research Station: highlights of foundational silviculture studies. In: Kirschman, Julia E., comp. Proceedings of the 19th biennial southern silvicultural research conference; 2017 March 14-16; Blacksburg, VA. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-234. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station: 149-151.
Keywordsexperimental forests, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service
- Role of the USDA Forest Service experimental forest: an extension point of view
- The Crossett Experimental Forest--72 years of science delivery in the silviculture of southern pines
A history of forest management in the Ozark Mountains
XML: View XML